Is Spiritual Direction for me?
Those looking to understand their personal spiritual direction have many reasons to begin this journey.
- A desire for informal spiritual companionship.
- Wanting to clarify your own mission, vision, and purpose
- A need to address challenges or issues, such as reaching an impasse in your inner life and spirituality.
- Requiring assistance in decision-making about a vocational change or transition.
- A desire to explore and embrace inner growth and transformation.
Spiritual direction consists of engaging in conversations with individuals trained in the art of assisting others on their spiritual journey.
For clergy, spiritual direction is a proven way to maintain healthy engagement with a congregation. Stresses and strains on clergy and their families all but require a way for the clergy person to be “in the balcony” of their life.
As a means of self-care, engaging in spiritual direction can counteract this in a helpful way. The first session is no-cost and has no obligation.
Are you being intentional with your spiritual journey? Do you desire to deepen your spiritual journey? Would it be helpful to have a companion and a spiritual advisor to provide guidance and accountability?
Spiritual direction provides a way to address these and other desires, intentions, and questions related to your spiritual journey. Different from both counseling and coaching, this process invites a spiritual director to walk alongside you on your path.
Typically spiritual direction occurs on an ongoing basis as part of a longer-term relationship with a spiritual advisor. However, it can also be used to address short-term needs.
Our Team of Spiritual Directors
Follow the link below to learn more about our current team of spiritual directors:
Spiritual Direction Resources
Samaritan Center offers spiritual direction services for those seeking spiritual guidance. Please read below about other orgs/ministries that offer Spiritual Direction training in our community.
- Oasis Ministries for Spiritual Development: Provides training in spiritual direction, which can lead to becoming a spiritual director, education in contemplation and prayer practices, daylong retreat opportunities, yearlong programs, retreats for groups and communities, and pilgrimages. Oasis also partners with Clergy and Congregation Care in providing for the spiritual direction needs in the community.
- Urban Well at St. James Episcopal Church: A source for contemplative prayer and practices with the goal that online and in person we learn to be more centered, conscious, and compassionate in the world.
- Kairos School of Spiritual Formation: A program run under the auspices of the Parish Resource Center in Lancaster that focuses on deepening persons’ faith with contemplative methods through retreats, workshops, and longer programs.
- Moravian Seminary: Moravian’s certificate programs provide the contemplative training necessary to hear the direction the Spirit is moving in a person’s life. Instructors provide the student with the theoretical foundation, practical skills, and personal transformation necessary to companion others in their spiritual journeys. Available to both in-person and online students.
Spiritual Direction Enrollment
To inquire about the spiritual direction with one of our directors, please complete the web form below. We will be in touch in 1-2 business days.